Benjamin Ambrosio was certified by New York State in Police Sciences during his ten-year career as a police officer for the New York City Police Department. At the New York City Police Academy, Ambrosio was in the top ten percent of his class, passing such courses as the Homeland Security Seminar and the Deadly Force Incidents and Statements Seminar, among others. Ambrosio wanted to stay highly trained and practiced during his time as a police officer during his career so that he could protect and serve his community effectively.
Police Science is, technically, the research and study of police work. There are many facets of police science that all have separate courses and fields of study themselves, including penology, criminology, forensic science, jurisprudence, and more. All of these fields and several others fall under the umbrella term police science. All of this research and study goes into finding the most effective methods of law enforcement and more. Police science involves the study of the laws themselves as well and how the entire criminal justice system operates as it affects the police themselves doing their jobs in the field. Benjamin Ambrosio learned effective methods of interrogation, gathering evidence, and interviewing individuals from the New York City Police Academy during his time there.
Benjamin Ambrosio stayed trained and ready to help his community using sound and tested police tactics that were shown to be effective and studied to improve his skills in the field. After over ten years on the force, Ambrosio now lives in Pelham Manor, New York.
Benjamin Ambrosio earned a Political Science degree from Loyola College in Maryland, where he took classes in Constitutional Law and completed internships with the Baltimore Police Department’s Homicide Unit, and with the Baltimore Office of the Public Defender. He then spent over ten years working for the New York Police Department, patrolling areas of the Bronx and Brooklyn and working with his community to help protect and serve all citizens of his beats. Ambrosio had many options for his career with a Political Science degree before he decided to join the police force. Here are a few things you can do:
- Government and advocacy. There are many government jobs ranging from city planning to legislature and the CIA. About 55% of political science graduates worked for the federal government in 2015.
- Law. There are many jobs that require interpretation of political ideas and the analytical skills that political science graduates like Benjamin Ambrosio have. Graduates can get into consumer advocacy, the judicial system and more.
- Lobbyists. Fighting for various causes in state and federal government require the skills of political science graduates who can maneuver within the issues and work with politicians to get them through all levels of government on behalf of voters’ interests.
Benjamin Ambrosio has worked hard to help his community by serving his constituents as a police officer. His understanding of political science got him a job in the New York Police Department, an opportunity that he took full advantage of to help keep his community safe.
Internships have become an important part of college student’s education, providing them with the work experience they need for their post-graduation job search. Benjamin Ambrosio, a police officer in New York City, utilized his internship opportunities to jump-start his career. In order to have a successful internship, it is important to impress your employer during your time there. Here are some tips to get the most out of your internship.
Know what to expect during your time at the company. While you may not be doing anything glamorous, you will be making other people’s lives easier. Just remember that you are getting exposure to the field and experience for your resume.
Even when you are handed boring tasks, show that you care about the quality of work by following instructions and paying attention to details. This will establish trust early on and possibly lead to more interesting work.
Mirror how others in the office act. Paying attention to the office culture will help you stand out from other interns.
Focus on your work. Avoid using social media and texting your friends throughout the day. The opinion of your manager matters.
Own up to any mistakes you may make and handle them correctly. Don’t try to cover it up or make excuses, take your work seriously and know that what you do affects other employees.
A successful internship can mean the difference between landing your perfect job after graduation or struggling to find a meaningful position. Benjamin Ambrosio used his internship to gain experience in law enforcement before entering the New York City Police Academy.
When it comes to crime protection, early detection and reporting are essential. As a police officer, Benjamin Ambrosio believes that one of the most effective ways people can protect their home and family is by starting a Neighborhood Watch program in their community. The more eyes you have watching the area, the safer you and your family will be. The following steps will help you get your own neighborhood watch started.
1. Take the time to talk to your neighbors and explain how a neighborhood watch program can benefit everyone. Be sure to let them know that it won’t require frequent meetings or a substantial investment of their time.
2. Recruit those neighbors that show enthusiasm for the program. This will help to reduce the amount of time you personally have to invest in the process.
3. Organize the basic structure of key personnel and delegate responsibilities. Identify a block captain for each block if possible and select a coordinator to represent the groups’ interest to the police department.
4. Meet with your local police department. The can help you learn about reporting skills, crime trends, and any requirements needed for establishing a Neighborhood Watch.
5. Use your recently established leadership structure to recruit new members and establish a network.
6. Finally, develop a plan of action and define guidelines and goals.
Forming a Neighborhood Watch is a great way to protect your home and family. Benjamin Ambrosio, as a police officer, works with the many different Neighborhood Watch groups located throughout his community.
As a police officer, Benjamin Ambrosio is a leader in both his community and his department. While the capacity to be a great leader is to some extent innate, anyone can learn to become a more effective leader with hard work and practice. Here are a few qualities that can be found in every effective leader.
- Effective leaders periodically take stock of their own personal strengths and weaknesses. They are able to perform a self-assessment in order to achieve a common goal.
- They know how people perceive them. With an easy level of honest communication with their teams and they know how others perceive them.
- Being perceptive also allows effective leaders to know what their team needs. It is easier to build a strong team when you know the goals and values of others and what they need from you as a leader.
- Effective leaders know the overall purpose and goals of their organization. They also know how their team fits into the big picture.
- They are good communicators and are able to clearly and concisely communicate the organization’s goals to their team.
- When leaders can articulate to their team what is expected of them, what the organization’s goals are, and how they will reach those goals, they are more effective.
It takes time to learn the skills that will make you an effective leader. Take advantage of the opportunities to improve your leadership skills. Benjamin Ambrosio works on his skills every day and has become an effective leader in the police department and the community.